Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our assorted stories and bios - Jackie

Once upon a time, there was Jackie, the bassist...
Well...not really, I was supposed to be a pianist but destiny had other plans.  Besides, bass players get more scholarships than pianists...heehee!!

Jackie De Los Santos, double bassist and a native New Yorker, earned her Bachelors and Masters  of music from the Juilliard School.  While residing there, Ms. De Los Santos was the principal bassist of the Korean Chamber Orchestra of New York and performed her solo debut with them at Weill Recital Hall, Carnegie Hall.  She also performed with the Westchester Opera, the York Theater Company and the Greenwich Symphony.

Since moving to South Florida, Ms. De Los Santos has performed with numerous groups on the east and west coasts of Florida: Naples Philharmonic, Symphony of Southwest Florida and the Boca Pops.  She also performed with the Florida Grand Opera and Miami City Ballet for many years.

Ms. De Los Santos has played alongside many world renowned artists including Andrea Bocelli, the Moody Blues, Neil Sedaka, Vikki Carr, Sarah Chang,  and Yo-Yo Ma.  Currently, you can find her in Miami Symphony’s bass section.

Showing her versatility as a bassist, Ms. De Los Santos has performed on bass guitar in various musicals, including Respect and Pageant, as well as the 2010 Florida run of the Carbonell winning show, Vices, A Love Story.

Ms. De Los Santos has been the principal bassist of the award winning Klezmer Company Orchestra (KCO) since 1998 and is also one of the founding members of the innovative Latin/Jazz/World Fusion group; J.E.T..  Along with performing, she has been teaching strings for more than 20 years and has her own private studio of students.

So now here comes the nitty gritty about me -- you've been waiting for this, I know.


I'm married to... 

 A N D
(rustling and flurry of whispers..."What the?? What does THAT mean??  Is she married to herSELF?? WHAT IS SHE TALKING ABOUT??").  No, no, no...I'm married to my two BASSES....geez-o-flip folks! 
The one I'm playing on in the top photo, with the blue background, is White Prince - yes, I name them!  He's been with me since September of 1982.  Barrie Kolstein, from Kolstein & Son, made the little guy.  The one in the second picture is Jackson Bear.  Hannah Mayne, from Mayne Basses, made him and he's been with me since March of 2008.  I love them both dearly and both are very supportive, very temperamental and very much kick @ss basses!








Oh, by the way, see that little white speck on Jackson Bear's tailpiece?  That's a mother of pearl inlay of this:


Which I had Hannah put in.  I love it!  Just sayin'!


My nickname is Bear - "Osa", in Spanish, or Osita (Little Bear).......I'm sure the peanut gallery is preparing a whole treasure filled chest of comments!
To wrap my page up...I'm a Reiki master and have been since 1997.  I've had a fair number of interesting and successful results dealing with Reiki.  I've also recently taken the Richard Bartlett Matrix Energetics seminars - Levels 1, 2 and 3.  Boy, is THAT stuff fascinating!  It's quantum physics and healing all wrapped up in one,  and let me tell you what a quirky, energetic, fun, loopy guy Richard is!


All right....now that everyone's eyebrows are up and meeting their hairlines (I also see a quite a few people twirling their finger around their ears in that decades old sign of "she's nuts!") I'll exit stage left and take a much needed break!  Ta-ta all!!!

2 comments: